Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Futurelib Wiki (week 5)




I was contemplating the future of wikis and libraries, and I had a blinding vision. It is called the the catablogue ( or a catablog if you live in the U.S.). It is a catalogue that is a wiki. How obvious is that? All of our patrons will be potential contributors, making the cataloguer's job much easier. A load shared is a lighter load after all.

I think this could really be the future of user- centered design. We have held the power for too long, and it is time to share both the responsibility and the privilege of information management.

2 comments:

David said...

I don't know about the power of librarians, or about whether I really want to share any kind of load. But I sure know I want that catablogue, and I want it NOW! Mark this down in your journals folks, this is the birth of one of the greatest concepts of the 21st century (aka World 2.0). The only possible enhancement would be a little screen on the front of a book which would show the catablogue, and it would be wirelessly connected to the great Cybrarian in the sky to keep the latest additions/subtractions/mutations of the catablogue available to browsers in the stacks.
Wow, can't wait for World 2.0 to really get into gear!

pls@slnsw said...

The Ann Arbour catalogue is part way along this part.

http://www.aadl.org/catalog

Ellen (PLS)