Tuesday, September 30, 2008

del.icio.us- an old friend revisited (week 7)

In the spirit of this course I have signed up with del.icio.us, but I have already had an account in the dim dark past (well, maybe a couple of years ago). I even had the tool bar sitting on my home computer, but I ditched it through lack of use. I had set it up when learning about this stuff through Uni, and I thought it might actually be quite useful since I was spending hours on the net doing research. I was always forgetting the great sites I had come across so I would save the web pages, but when it came time to create my fabulously in depth bibliographies the saved pages would often have no URL on them and the computer would have long forgotten its address and I would spend ages trying to refind these obscure pages just so I could reference them and squeeze a few more marks out of the assessor and... so on and so on. I am sure you get the picture. Anyway, I thought delicious might actually be the answer, and I did use it for a little while, but it didn't stick. I probably found a couple of good sites from serendipitous delicious browsing, but it didn't really work as a personal filing cabinet, and once I had finished study I really had no use for it. This time around I have ditched information architecture sites in favour of the weather, because as Sydney market stall holders we are quite obsessed with it. And of course since there was a Blogger gadget for it that got added too...
I did like the Ask Now's collaborative reference page list. What a great idea. I plan on looking into the sites when I have the time and energy. I think that would work well in any library, and allow you to tailor the sites to the specific needs and interests of the library community, much as Sutherland has done.

No comments: